Location: National and pilot in Zone 4 (Manabí and Santo Domingo de las Tsáchillas)
Implementation: 2014 - ...
Budget: Planned 2014 - 2016: €2,200,000
Key themes: Secondary technical and vocational education, Teacher Development, School Leadership, Strategic Support
In 2011, the Ecuadorian government reformed secondary education. A common curriculum (‘tronco commún’) was installed, with two options in the final years of secondary school: one scientific and one technical option. The government now wants to strengthen the technical option. A challenge is that the specific pedagogical and didactical skills that the teachers need to teach in technical education are inadequate. This also applies to the specific professional competences. Systems of professionalisation and training don’t take the specific nature of technical education sufficiently into account yet.
Target of the programme
Technical education teachers and school leaders prepare students for their role in society and for decent work.
VVOB focuses on capacity development of partner organisations working in the fields of professional development of teachers and school leaders in technical education, and of creating better links between education and the labour market. The programme in Ecuador has five result areas:
- VVOB works with the Subsecretaría de Coordinación Educativa. This is the department of the Ministry of Education that is responsible for the coordination in education. The cooperation includes support to the development of an integrated and inclusive policy for technical education, with a focus on teachers and school leaders.
- VVOB strengthens the Department for Professional Development in Education (Subsecretaría the Desarollo Profesional Educativo) to ensure that it is able to offer specific options of professionalisation to teachers and school leaders of technical schools. First this department will develop the desired profile of the technical education teacher. This will serve as a basis for the professionalisation activities. Then follows the development of the professionalisation via e.g. training, teaching internships in companies and learning networks.
- In a third result area, VVOB supports the National University of Education (UNAE) with the development and implementation of a specialised pedagogical training for teachers who want to teach in technical education.
- We also work with the Quality Department of the Ministry of Education (Subsecretaría de Calaidad Equidad y Educativa) in the development of support materials for the application of standards for school management in technical schools.
- Finally, VVOB strengthens the Ministry of Education itself in its dialogue with, among others, the business sector.